Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Princess Pocahontas?


Everybody makes a big deal about Cinderella, with her long blond hair and poofy blue dress that matches her twinkling eyes. But I've never wanted to wear that powder blue gown or win the adoration of the tall, dark prince charming. In fact, the prince charming in Cinderella always seemed a bit superficial and transparent to me. Though I by no means seek to disclaim the title of a prince seeking, castle loving girly girl, the Cinderella story never really satisfied me--there was always that little puzzle piece of the story that seemed displaced within the tale that left me unsatisfied.

Then came Pocahontas. There's been a little controversy concerning whether or not my favorite Disney princess is really a princess atall and as you'll observe within the Disney Dynasty, she's certainly not the favorite. You never spot her wearing an impressive outfit or a shiny crown. She's always hanging out in the background perhaps with Mulan or the other ones with questionable princess status and never attends the afternoon teas with Cinderella, Aurora, and Ariel. But her earthy, compassionate, and free spirit always intrigued me and inspired me to be more like her--the song "The Colors of the Wind" runs chills down my spine as she sings, "But I know every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name." It sounds silly, but something about her sincerity and freeness just speaks to my soul and helps me to see nature as such a gift and want to share my love for it with others. I always felt like Pocahontas when I went to camp and wandering off on my own I would rush through the leafy forests and skip from rock to rock of a babbling brook. She helped me to see what others couldn't and ponder on the more important things that this life has to offer.

So long story short, my best friends make fun of me for favoring the ethnic, black haired, nature girl princess and you probably will too, but I can't deny the overwhelmingly powerful inspiration that I feel when I watch it, even now.

14 comments:

Lizi Dorff said...

that's really cool! i definitely agree with not identifying with the "classic" legitimate princesses, unless you count Belle. the "princesses" with substance are the best.

Alina said...

I love Pocahontas too! When I was about 8 or 9 years old my parent got me this Disney Princess piano book and my favorite songs to play were the Pocahontas ones! Yay:)

Shannon said...

Ah yeah! Pocahontas is awesome, me and my friends would totally play games and act like her and get all muddy. She is the chiefs daughter, so totally counts as a princess.

BA said...

So what I find really attractive about Pocahontas is when she did that peter pan dive off the waterfall. I mean that girl has guts, but you have to cut Cinderella some slack, she was the ultimate home maker. She was good with nature. I mean the birds and the mice. She can be really classy and nice when it is time to be nice, but not too high maintenance like the other princesses.

Taylor_tots said...

You make interesting points, but I really cannot stand that movie. I worked at a day care center taking care of children and I saw that one a lot so I am guessing it spoiled that movie for me. Plus the real Pocahontas is nothing like the movie, so that makes me somewhat annoyed. She never hooked up with John Smith...silly Disney always trying to make everything perfect.

bean said...

poor kokoum..that part in the movie always made me sad. but i totally agree with the free spirit. This is definitely a character worth striving to be like. I also loved how she always followed the wind (and it was funny how the wind always had those leaves along with it).

mathurston said...

That movie also inspired me but for different reasons. John Smith chose to go against the common conceptions of his time and went for a "Savage." I realized that I could do the same and avoided the cultural influences of our time. Well done.

Gabriel said...

Way to be with thinking about Pocahontas. She for sure is a Disney princess. There is something about rolling in the riches all around you and for once never wondering what they're worth.

head chef said...

Great Choice! And I enjoyed your reasoning.

Anonymous said...

My favorite princesses are Pocahontas, Ariel, Belle, Anastasia, and Mulan. They were the ones with drive, ambition and independence.

My favorite movie is Pocahontas because it has a really great message behind it.

Pocahontas is a princess - she's the daughter of a chieftain.

Saying that you don't like Pocahontas because the real one never hooked up with John Smith is a bit silly. You can't judge the movie in connection with real life - it's a fairytale, based on a real person, but standing alone. Besides, the movie Pocahontas dumps John Smith in Pocahontas 2.

Cinderella is by far the most clueless Disney Princess. She never did anything for herself, just sat around winging. Ever After - The True Cinderella Story is my favorite movie of all time If Cinderella were real, I'd like to think she was like that.

I <3 Disney princesses.... :)

pamela said...

You took the words right out of my mouth! Im always looking for pocahontas trinkets in stores and i can only find the other princesses and it really frustrates me! My birthday is in the fall when the leaves are being carried away by the breezes and it always reminds me of her spirit. Pocahontas is definetly my favorite. I have her tribal tattoo on my right arm. She is a fox!

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you. I watched Pocahontas just a couple of days ago, after not having seen it for years, and felt the same way. There is something about her in the way she respects nature, her confidence, strength and audacity that make her a Disney princess who is worth striving to be like.

By the way, I think it's kind of strange how you said that your friends would tease you for liking the "ethnic" princess. What does it matter?

Unknown said...

i couldnt agree more with you =)
i love pocahontas, she's so beautiful inside and outside

Molly C. said...

Pocahontas is one of the best Disney movies. I have a fondness for nature too, and always get angry when my dad cuts down trees around our house simply for a "better view," or when my mom says that she sees nothing wrong with destroying trees and whatnot as long as it's not a whole forest. Pocahontas is a wonderful, nature-y movie, and I love that Colors of the Wind song. :)