Thursday, March 13, 2008

So there's good news and bad news. And it all concerns chocolate. The bad is that chocolate might one day be considered an drug--and the good is that us "chocoholics" might have more will power than we give ourselves credit for.

Though the term "chocoholics" suggests an addiction of sorts, no one seriously considers those people true addicts. After all, it's just candy--right? Wrong.
Doctors, scientists, researchers and the like have recently been pulling up evidence that inability to resist that 2nd or third candy bar may have little to do with what fitness experts preach of will power and just plain self control. Doug Taren, PH.D associate dean of public health at the University of Arizona says, "Eating it can boost levels of serotonin and dopamine, two chemials responsible for regulating mood and behavior." Similarly, Spanish reserachers discovered that chocolate contains the same alkaloid compounds associated with alcoholism and a seperate study reflected that chocolate candy contains theobromine, a stimulant used in place of codein in cough syrup. Recently, we've seen the cough syrup get caged up in locked glass cases as more and more kids are chugging it to get high. Is it possible that excessive chocolate can have similar effects? Experts say maybe. One group of scientists cited in Shape Magazine "connected some of the chemicals in chocolate to the mood elevators found in marijuana."

So maybe, just maybe us chocolate junkies might really be addicted to the stuff. The way I see it, if eating chocolate is wrong, I don't want to be right! And I just hope that my favorite chocolate treats will never be locked up behind a glass case--at least not in my lifetime.

4 comments:

Taylor_tots said...

Hmmm, thats pretty intense. Really interesting though, and it makes sense because a lot of people have it at least once day. I don't personally like feeling dependent on anything.

Keith McKay said...

I feel a Word of Wisdom addendum coming on. For your sake I hope you get off the "cocoa crack" before it's too late.

Alina said...

That sounds intense! Too bad I do not like chocolate all that much... I guess I won't ever be dubbed the title of a chocoholic! hehe...

Molly C. said...

That's so funny, because my mom always says to my little brother, "You're a chocoholic!" Hehe. I think I may be one too, but if so I have no desire to be helped. :D