Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Freshman Feeding


So I live in the dorms. Helaman Halls. Where the Cannon Center is the daily feeding trough of choice...or perhaps just of convenience for most hungry and somewhat lazy freshmen. It's smack-dab in the center of our little community and takes approximately 15 seconds by foot to reach from any given Hall. We like it most of the time.

We also welcome absolutely any excuse to escape it. My friend Natalie frequently accepts dates from a barely tolerable guy who hounds her almost weekly, lured by the prospect of an original meal. In essence, she takes the food and runs until the next week she gets a call. It works for her.

For us, Wendy's is eating out. We can buy fries and even drink real Coke. (The kind with caffeine)
The only set back is that it certainly does not take the Dining Plus of which we've become very fond. Many have defended the prospect that Dining Plus should be accepted anywhere from the good old Cannon to shopping malls, P.F Changs, and virtually anywhere in Provo.

It has been considered that the incredible excess on our cards account for a great chunk of the "freshman fifteen" predicament. For those of you less familiar with the wonders of Dining Plus, the money that you fail to spend builds up until it reaches a whopping 75 dollars before you lose it. Anything over 75 bucks goes straight into BYU's pocket. As kids, we hate the thought of our Dad's money, which is rightfully ours, taken away from us. It's that Gimmie Gimmie mentality coming back.

So what we do is go to Cosmo's, the little convenient store, and buy candy. Lots and lots of Candy. We raid the gummy worm bins and grab the Valentines Day chocolate boxes. We grab bags of cookies in case we need it for FHE and end up eating it ourselves. I find myself purchasing chocolate bars I would rarely buy back home, taking no thought whatsoever of the prices beforehand. After all with 60 plus dollars to spend on mostly snack and finger food, who takes thought to be frugal? Sometimes I wonder if BYU's dining plans are turning us into gluttons and spend-thrifts.


5 comments:

El Termo said...

I totally hear you on drinking real Coke. I'm a recovering addict. I remember always saving up my Dining Plus dollars and using them to get Jamba Juice every other day. It was almost like getting free Jamba, which is probably on my top ten list of happy things. Yay for freshman college life.

Sherm said...

I'm not going to lie.. Even when I was a sophomore, I had to sneak over and have lunch one day at the Cannon Center. Something that they put in the food is somewhat addictive. Even though I'm sure it terribly lacks any nutritional value, they still make you want more..

Rob said...

Sadly enough I never had the joy of living in the dorms, enjoying the addictive blandness of the Canon Center, or ransacking Cosmo's with soon to expire Dining Plus cash. Its regretable I know, I've heard it my entire college career here at BYU and I do feel left out of the experience, so soak it up while you can Courtney... not all of us get to live the dream. :)

head chef said...

You bring up a good argument. Do you plan to protest the plan at some point?

Brittany Perez said...

I cannot lie. I hated the Cannon Center while I lived in Helaman. I definitely know what you mean when you express your need for signature card acceptance in the regions surrounding BYU. But however much I believed I wanted to cook my own meals and ditch campus dining, everytime I pass through the Wilk I wish I could pull out the sig. card and swipe. My Dining Plus advice: Enjoy it while you have it and sucker as many guys as you can into expensive dinner dates.