Thursday, February 7, 2008


I never thought of myself as an iPod-loving person. I often see people walking down the street with headphones stuck in their ears and mp3 players stuffed in their back pocket, bobbing their head and paying little attention to their surroundings. There also exist those brave students who keep them in during class, as the thumping bass blares across the row of seats. I suppose I separated myself from the ipod-crazed stereotype since my headphones usually sit in my desk collecting dust. I much prefer my super convenient i-Home. With a quick click of the remote, nearly one thousands songs are at my disposal, to be shuffled exactly as I please while I eat, get dressed, etc.


But as days came and went this week and I saw hundreds of oblivious students lipsincing along with their favorite tunes, I grew curious. They just looked like they were having such a great time. Thus, one day in an effort to avoid disturbing my roommate while she studied, I dug into my messy drawer for my headphones and poured myself a bowl of cereal at my desk. As I munched and crunched with my headphones in, it felt just plain strange! Even though the volume was down low, the music felt too loud and heavy, like it was hammering on my eardrum...and on top of that my ears were suddenly extremely sensitive to my chewing, as my teeth ground up my cherrios. The headphones felt just like earplugs. I felt cut off from everything and everyone. And honestly, I felt a little uncomfortable and on edge...as if in the event of a fire I would be the only one who didn't hear the yelling. Anyway, I tried it all out for a few minutes until I couldn't take it anymore and at that point I wondered how everyone else did it. Maybe I'm just a little technologically slow. I wouldn't be suprised. But now when I see all those kids on the street walking around in a daze, I'm even more confused than before.

4 comments:

Keith McKay said...

I use my cell phone's ipod-esque feature to listen to music going to and from school. I realize increasingly that it completely isolates people from each other. All of a sudden our society consists of a bunch of individuals that exist and operate in their own spheres -the sense of community is fading. So occasionally I'll pull out my earphones when I'm walking alongside someone and chat with them, just to feel normal again.

alyssa said...

haha that is really funny considering the fact that i just took out my headphones. but i know what you mean. it isnt a usual thing for me either because i love my ihome. but the thing is for me i think i tend to realize my surroundings even more, only its like a movie with background music and you are forced to look past people and more at the world. its pretty cool and a great way to just forget about the day.

jsharendt said...

Mabee you should consider turrning down the volume if it is "thumping" in your ear. I listen to mine at a respectable level so I can still hear conversation around me. I feel its like the soundtrack to my life. Music is a wonderful tool to inspire and uplift when used correctly. Mabee your just not listening to the right music? I say you take Pauls advice, Examine all things, retain the good and throw out the bad. Try mellower music like Dave matthews and Keller Williams. Or some oldies like cat stevens or James Taylor. They sing from their souls and wisdom can be found in their lyrics.

Alina said...

I've never owned an ipod... in fact, for the longest time i didn't even understand what they were for. haha. But like Keith mentioned, I used to have a few songs on my phone that I would listen to but that's the closest I have ever been to owning and ipod.